Friday, December 17, 2010

Whatever

Reuters has spoken:

Whatever you think about using grating words, at the end of the day it's actually better not to say whatever, if you know what I mean.

For the second consecutive year "whatever' topped a Marist poll as the most annoying word or phrase in the English language.

Nearly 39 percent of 1,020 Americans questioned in the survey deemed it the most irritating word, followed by "like" with 28 percent and the phrase "you know what I mean' at 15 percent.

It's not such a bad word, if you know how to use it.

3 comments:

Night Writer said...

Where does "at the end of the day" fall on the list?

Mr. D said...

Where does "at the end of the day" fall on the list?

Pretty high, I imagine.

Mike said...

Whatev...I mean, some are shortening the word to that, or "whatevs," which makes "whatever" seem, well, not so bad.

The word verification for this post is "coparity." I feel like that should have a definition.