Thursday, September 10, 2009

The D's Do Their Part to Stimulate the Economy

Well, our kids are back in school now and I think that I am finally done shopping for school supplies. I am amazed every year at what appears on the school supply lists from the schools as well as other essential items that need to be purchased by parents. Here's a partial list of items that we were expected to provide.


  • 60 sharpened pencils per child

  • 2 dozen reward type stickers

  • Clorox wipes

  • Vocabulary textbook

  • Calculator

  • 3 packages of Post-It notes

  • Books for the classroom

  • Dry erase markers

  • 1 or 2 boxes of tissues

  • Paint set

  • Highlighter

  • Sketchbook

  • Sharpie pen

  • 3 ring binder

  • Clipboard

  • $15 cash for classroom activities and additional supplies

Of course, we also have to provide the usual additional items like crayons, colored pencils, composition notebook, notebooks, folders, black/blue pens, red pens, glue sticks, erasers, etc.


When I went to school, there were only a few items on the school supply list. We could buy the items and put them all in our heavy duty cardboard pencil box and take everything to school on the first day. I spent more time trying to decide between the Partridge Family lunchbox and the Donny Osmond lunchbox than I did looking for all of the rest of my school supplies.


The week before school officially starts, my kids go to school to meet their teacher and drop off a grocery bag full of supplies plus they bring additional supplies on the first day of school. When did the required number of supplies expand from everything fitting into a 6" x 9" pencil box to everything barely fitting into a backpack?


Hopefully our checkbook recovers from purchasing the school supplies in the next ten days or so before the PTA fall fundraiser order form comes home.

6 comments:

Gino said...

clorox wipes?
packs of tissue?

whatever happened to washing your hands and face in the lavatory, and using your sleeve for the boogers and sneezes?

and if the nun ever caught us with a calculator? God forbid.

my name is Amanda said...

SIXTY pencils?! When I was a kid, we got a pack of 24, and they would last through the year, or at least half the year making it only 48). And in my school, the teachers provided reward stickers at their discretion (doesn't it seem a little artificial if the child brings their own?). The only other things from the bullet list I ever had to bring were tissues... All of my stuff fit into one of those cardboard schoolboxes, too.

My school provided calculators, textbooks, dry erase markers, paint... I guess we also brought our own highlighters, if we wanted.

Gino has a point about water and soap. Why do they have to bring Clorox Wipes? And Post-Its!?!? I don't have kids but I'm feeling preemptively angry about this.

Seriously?! That's nuts.

Anonymous said...

Funny how we are expected to provide more and more from our own pockets for the schools, yet overall school spending never goes down. It's all about the kids!!!!

Mrs. D said...

Hi Gino,

Well, ironically, it turns out that the elementary school requested that each student donate Clorox wipes but today the school district informed parents that Clorox wipes would not be allowed in classrooms. Yes, handwashing with good old soap and water is the best thing to prevent germs from spreading. I have no idea what they use the calculators for. As far as I can tell, both our kids have memorized the basic math stuff and do not have to depend on a calculator.

Thanks for commenting!

Mrs. D said...

Hi Amanda,

Sorry, I did not mean to scare you with the supply list! I am not an accountant, but my understanding is that in our school district, most of the school district's budget goes toward salaries. That means that the items used in the classroom must be provided by the parents or the teachers or the ever shrinking school's supply budget. I think that a big part of the problem is that the teachers are still asking parents to provide things that the teacher can do without. For instance, you can draw a star on a spelling test instead of using a sticker. Many families in our area are having a hard time financially and yet the school supply list remains pretty much the same as it was two years ago.

Thank you for your comments!

Gino said...

hahaha...
i just saw the post-it notes on the list.

we didnt have those when i was in school.
nobody else did either.