Tuesday, September 01, 2009

An increasingly unusual sports post

I love sports but I haven't been writing about it much lately. Not sure why that is. Anyway:

  • We're going back to the Dome tonight to see the Twins. It will probably be our last visit for a baseball game. While I'm personally not going to miss the place, I wonder if the Twins will. Without the turf and the weird bounces, Nick Punto might be in Ray Oyler territory next year. I do know this much -- the White Sox won't miss the Dome.
  • I watched ol' number 4 last night. He didn't do much to embarrass himself or the Vikings as they won in a workmanlike fashion against the eternally non-descript Houston Texans. I do think I understand now why Fran Tarekenton is so exercised about Favre, though. After watching Favre throw little more than dinks, dunks and screen passes all evening, Tarkenton probably felt that, even at the age of 70, he could have suited up and made most of the same plays that Favre did. My friend Brad Carlson made the important point on a Facebook post last night: no matter what 4 does, this is Adrian Peterson's team.
  • I also got a look at some of Favre's divisional contemporaries over the weekend. Jay Cutler is, by all accounts, an idiot. The guy can make all the throws, though. In terms of sheer talent, he's the best quarterback the Bears have had in my lifetime, and by a significant margin. Jim McMahon in his prime could not make half the throws that Cutler can. It will be interesting to see how Cutler develops this season. If Devin Hester takes a few strides, look out. As for my beloved Packers and Aaron Rodgers, I don't think you'll meet too many Packer fans who are pining for Favre after watching what Rodgers can do. He has been magnificent thus far. The nagging worry remains injury -- the quality level dropoff from Rodgers to the other young quarterbacks on the Green Bay roster is among the largest in the NFL. Based on what I've seen, I'd say this: Favre has an excellent chance to be the 3rd best quarterback in the NFC North.

11 comments:

Night Writer said...

Help might be available soon for the Pack's backup QB situation if the team is concerned about Brohm and Flynn as the backups (apparently they weren't bothered last year, or were just lucky).

Many think Travaris Jackson will be available and word is that WCO-experienced QBs AJ Feely and Luke McCown may be cut loose by Philly (now that Vick's there) and Tampa (who has two young back-ups they're high on behind Leftwich).

T-Jack, btw, did look efficient and authoritative in his brief appearance last night.

Brad Carlson said...

At this point, I'd definitely take Cutler as the Vikes QB over Favre. But the supporting cast? That's where the Vikings have a big time edge.

Mr. D said...

At this point, I'd definitely take Cutler as the Vikes QB over Favre.

Would you take Rodgers over Favre, Brad?

Actually, I'd consider T-Jack as a backup in Green Bay, NW. Flynn is limited and Brohm has been a huge disappointment up to this point.

Anonymous said...

Mark,
have a great time at the game. Your post was spot on in many ways. The Twins fans are going to miss the Dome. Me...I am throwing a party when they demolish that beast.
BTW, loved the Tarkenton line. Spoken like a true Green Bay fan;)

Regards,
Rich

Anonymous said...

Regarding your observation that: "In terms of sheer talent, he's (Cutler) the best quarterback the Bears have had in my lifetime."
I have to wonder if there is a lower bar that could be set in professional sports. And I am a Bears fan. The Dilettante neighborhood is rife with hardcore sports fans. It might be fun to have a competition to set the lowest bar in sports. You game?

Rich

Mr. D said...

I have to wonder if there is a lower bar that could be set in professional sports. And I am a Bears fan. The Dilettante neighborhood is rife with hardcore sports fans. It might be fun to have a competition to set the lowest bar in sports. You game?

I am intrigued by your idea and wish to subscribe to your newsletter, Rich. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

No bar is set lower than the bar for the long suffering Lions Fans.

Brad Carlson said...

Would you take Rodgers over Favre, Brad?

In a second! Unfortunately, when the Vikings were looking to upgrade the QB position, Rodgers wasn't available.

Gino said...

i'm liking what i see in Cutler. I think you will ALL be looking at a much improved Bears this year.

Season opener will be fun, wont it?

i'm tempted to offer a freindly wager...
or accept one.

Brad Carlson said...

i'm liking what i see in Cutler.

As you should, Gino. This is the first legit QB the Bears have had since Sid Luckman. Unfortunately for Cutler, he doesn't have much in the way of receivers. We'll see what he can do without the talents of Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal.

Anonymous said...

purchase tramadol tramadol apap 37.5 dosage - legit online pharmacy tramadol