Thursday, September 27, 2018

Calliopes

So then there's this:
Two men have come forward to tell Senate investigators they, not Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, could have been responsible for the encounter Christine Blasey Ford describes when she says she was sexually assaulted at a high school party 36 years ago.

The Judiciary Committee Republican staff did not release any details about the men, but said each had been interviewed, and one had provided a written statement.

Each of the men described “in some detail” their recollection of their encounter with Ms. Blasey Ford, the GOP staff said in a memo late Wednesday, less than 12 hours before Ms. Blasey Ford is slated to testify about her memories of the assault.
Do you find your head spinning? I do, at least a little. Two true things I know.

I was in the Washington, DC, area in the summer of 1982, on a family vacation. My brother and I wandered into Georgetown and had a drink at a bar, even though he was underage at the time. We didn't assault Christine Blasey Ford, as far as we know. I will also note that I have never seen so many beautiful women in one place as I did that night.

I went to college with a guy from Gaithersburg, Maryland, the hometown of Julie Swetnick, who has alleged McMartin Pre-School-level behavior by Kavanaugh. The guy I knew from Gaithersburg was quite proud of being a hick from the sticks. I've long since lost touch with him, but I'd love to hear what he'd have to say about the notion that a college-age woman from Gaithersburg would be hanging out at beach parties with a bunch of dudes from Georgetown Prep. To put it in Twin Cities terms, it would be the same as a woman from, say, Glencoe-Silver Lake High School going to Breck or Blake parties. It could happen, but it's not likely.

3 comments:

3john2 said...

I'm sure that we'll find that the men making these statements were recruited by dragging a $100 bill through a trailer park, solely to impugn the spotless reputations and credibility of the noble women victims.

3john2 said...

But, boy, talk about the very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing of the calliope as it crashes to the ground.

Bike Bubba said...

Yeah, where is Carville when we need him....?

I certainly remember steering clear of a college acquaintance when he revealed he was dating a 14 year old. It's part of why I chose my current nickname instead of the one I used in high school.

I also remember that, despite growing up less than 15 miles from Chief Justice Roberts and in the same town as Jim Gaffigan, nobody at my high school ever talked about partying with students from La Lumiere. I hardly knew it existed, and only knew about Culver because a junior high friend went there.

Count me suspicious of a LOT of stories here, and even more suspicious of those who argue that, despite all the apparent witnesses saying "these things never happened", we somehow need an investigation that will arrive at the same dead ends as the NY Times and others have.